Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Spring Fling Race Day #1

Yes I am a few days behind. Way too busy keeping all my affairs in good order but now I am good to go.

OK first Criterium or Crit of the year happened on March 25th 2012 out at Clinton Lake camp ground #1. I rolled in set up command center, ie bike stands for people to use, tent and chairs. Must be comfortable at the race venue. Registered for the Masters 35+ event and the CAT 4/5. I wanted to do three races that day, the 3/4 but decided earlier in the week to take a fellow race team member over to the Lawrence river trails for a bit of extra fun on the MTB.

PTC in the Black Jersey
I warm up a bit or try to. It was a bit brisk with the wind coming off the lake so I had to add the knee warmers and heaver gloves. If my hands get to cold it is hard to shift so better to be warm than cold.
The Masters 35+ race is a 40 minuet timed event on a 1.2 mile loop. We averaged 24.5 mph. I line up and hey I am on the front line! I start to look around the group and yes, I start to see all the guys that seem to school me in CX and last year's Road and Crits. Starting to think, I will be off the back soon! Oh well, I have been training with all of these men in mind. Whistle goes off and I can not get into my peddle so all those guys pass me at the start. I get rolling and move up to the position I want to ride, top 5-15. I was in the 10 area and was happy about this. The first race everyone even us experienced riders have some storage dust to blow off. The Masters race is a bit better because most of these guys are well GOOD. It was fun rubbing shoulders and chit chatting about it with fellow riders I have not seen since late summer 2011. I raced up in the top part of the peloton. I felt really good about my fitness which solidified that my training plan was spot on.The results show I finished 24th avoiding a crash in the last curve into the finish separated many of us.
I am very pleased really. There are some big time riders here in the area and for me to ride with them at this time of the year is AWESOME!
Roger Williams[red]
 Michael Ruder PTC [KCBC]
KCBC Racing had a good group of men [5] in the 4/5 race so it was nice to race with fellow team mates in the peloton. The 4/5 race was a 45 minuet event on the same 1.2 mile loop. We averaged 24.2 mph or so. After the Masters race I started to chit chat with fellow riders about the race so I found myself scrambling to re-pin my number on a different race jersey to match the KCBC Team. At this level we need to race for ourselves. Many others like a few teams I will not mention really think they can make a difference but when it comes right down to it, if the peloton wants to catch you, ah, we will and you can bank on that. I once again raced in the top part of this race following Teammate from GO! Racing Roger Williams. This race was a bit scary. Lots of shoulder rubbing on the turns. I am so glad I have good bike handling skills or many of us would have been on the floor many times. The results say I finished 39th and that is OK. I and others decided we know where we are in our training and it is still training so we backed off the last lap to let those guys fight it out. I saw a crash in the Masters 35+ I was sure there would be one on that last turn in this race.

So to sum up the days racing: I performed where I had hoped I'd be.
YOU want better results? TEAM up with Power Team Coaching. Get fit, stronger and faster for proven results.

Finished the day with an hour and twenty minuets on the Lawrence River trails with Dan. We had a hoot!

See you in the Peloton soon!

Coach Ruder



No comments:

Post a Comment