Monday, May 28, 2012

Post race report --> Robidoux Roundup, 2012

The day started out like most days.... but it was race day! Rolled out to do my first sanctioned Mountain Bike race, and it had to be the Robidoux Roundup! I was told to pre-pair for some climbing.... and climbing is what I got. The race started at the what they said bottom of the hill so it was a nice uphill start on pavement. Interesting that I sat in up the hill and should have tried to be the first into the trail instead of last. Hey I was there for the fun! At first the trail was nice, smooth a few twists and then came the up, the down, the up and up and twist up and up some more. Well kind of like that. After those first 4 or 5 good climbs the trail eased up a bit with nice flowing single track, very well groomed and rock free. Here is where my skills on the Mtb need some work. I was scrubbing all my speed off every-time I came into a sharp turn to go up hill or to just adjust to the terrain so I worked my self what seemed like to death. But I did live! The bridge crossings where a bit frighting at first. 8 bridges in all and on this steel grate I almost went off which would have made for an interesting time. It seemed like the bridges just came out of nowhere, at the bottom of a tight curve, just around a sharp bend or just as you climbed up a hill and there it is. I came close to going off several but kept the wheels rolling. Jason Douglas and several others said the climbs at the start are the hardest and then you are home free. Yep they forgot to mention the climbs at the end of the 6 or so mile loop that tested your skills just differently than the start. It was a hot day so I knew I would need to drink plenty of water, I did and was pleasantly surprised I did not have any cramping issues that have plagued me in the heat. I used a different combination of Hammer supplements and drink pre-race I think helped me. OK I finished the race. I officially took 5th but I think I was fourth. The forth place person had a slower first lap than I did and the only person who passed me on the second loop was wicked strong man Mark Horn. Oh well it was for fun right! Yes it was and it was fun. A few shots of the those on both teams PTC represents. 
Single speed 1st -Blake Hoppe GO! Racing
2nd - Mark Horn KCBC Racing



CAT 1 2nd Micah Gordon GO! Racing
CAT 1 XC 40-49 3rd  Craig Hoppe GO! Racing















Marathon 3rd Place Roger Williams GO! Racing


Next Mtb event for me will be the Missouri State Championship June 10th Down and Dirty in Warsaw, MO.
Catch you on the trails or in the peloton.
Coach Ruder

No comments:

Post a Comment