Friday, June 27, 2014

The Kansas Velodrome! Yes a Velodrome in Kansas

Something I've wanted to do for a few years was to try my hand at track racing. I first saw the Kansas Velodrome (a grass track) at a Cyclocross event several years ago out a Joules CX. You know the place out by Lawrence, Kansas. Well I and my youngest son rolled out to visit Mark Thomas and the LocalCycling crew for a clinic. I was presented a loaner bike owned by the Kansas Velodrome Association. I added the Association for an official sound I'm not sure that is accurate but I like it. I received a few brief things important about the track bicycle ah, it is a fixed gear and you have not brakes and you should not stop peddling or it will or could hurt! Ha well that is true.
Mark took me around and explained all the aspects of the track. Where you can ride, how you are to ride in those areas and the purpose. I was allowed to ride around the track to get a good feel for of the bicycle and the track. Like many other cycling sports Safety track etiquette, tire pressure and bicycle set up are important. If you want to find out more about the Kansas Velodrome come on out to a clinic where you will get instructions on all the aspects of safety and track etiquette. Want to learn the history or more got to http://localcycling.com/index.php/kansas-city/2233-kansas-velodrome
Here are a few shots. By the way Track practice on Thursdays at 6:30pm. Need a loaner want to just try like me? Contact LocalCycling via http://localcycling.com/index.php/kansas-city
 



 
See you at the track racers.
Coach Ruder


No comments:

Post a Comment